Mithila University was established on August 5, 1972 by an Ordinance of the Government of Bihar subsequently enacted through legislatures. The University is governed by the Bihar State Universities Act, 1976. The University was renamed as LALIT NARAYAN MITHILA UNIVERSITY vide University notification No. 6760-7244 dated 28 April, 1980.
The territorial jurisdiction of the University is spread over four districts of Bihar namely Madhubani, Darbhanga, Samastipur and Begusarai. The university has 43 constituent colleges and 25 affiliated colleges besides two government colleges – Darbhanga Medical College & Hospital and Rural Institute, Birouli, Samastipur. 42 constituent colleges and 07 affiliated colleges are registered under section 2 f and 12(B) of the U.G.C. Act, 1956..